Amazon Gift Cards!

Friday, November 03, 2006

Franken'bent Stirs!

Well, I said there would be a HUGE, HUGE donation arriving shortly, didn't I? It came! Fred, my friendly UPS dude, brought this loooong box to my door tonight from a kindly benefactor over at Hoback Sports in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.


See how Buddy, the ever-vigilant, takes the handwritten note on the box to heart?


And, what is on the other side? Why it's an homage to the monster!

FRANKEN'BENT!


And inside is what is so HUGE! It's the very backbone of what makes Franken'bent exist! A SWB frameset from a RANS Force 5LE donor! The frameset includes a couple of idlers with chain retainers, the aluminum seat rail, an aluminum fork, rear brake with cable, steering riser and handlebars, a couple of 650/25 Bonti tires and a keychain from a deaf person. (That's what the card said!)

So, there you have it. If you're following along, you can probably figure how close Franken'bent actually is to becoming a reality. But we still have a ways to go. With this donation, Franken'bent is now an SWB High-Racer. I had originally posted that the goal was to build a low-racer, but that will have to be Franken'bent II!

If you have anything you don't need and want to donate to the Project, please let me know. I'll give you mad props and post a link to your website. Thank you for tuning in!

2 comments:

. said...

That is really cool. The generosity of people is so famously lacking, but then I see things like this to make me think otherwise. I'm excited to see how it turns out. I'll dig around my part box(my girlfriend and roomates made me get ride of all but 1 bucket!Apparently we live in a two bedroom apartment split between 4 people....grumble). Anything you need in particular that a poor college kid could get you? I think I might have a chain that'd work for this bad boy. Do you have a cassette yet so that I'd be able to give you the right size chain?
This is going to be a rad bike and also, it makes me think that an excellent bike made from parts could be had for much cheaper than a full kit bike. The frame seems to be the most expensive part, congratulations on that!Now I have to start looking for someone to help with my frankenbent, a Franken'fujin SLII with superman bars, mhmmmm...

Good luck,
PM me at Bikeforums or BROL at blknwhtfoto if you have any ideas of things you need.
Mike Perrault
Eugene, Oregon
University of Oregon

Unknown said...

Very Cool,

BROL PM sent, Mike! Use my email address included in that PM for further correspondence.

Cheers!